Saturday 6 November 2010

Why do we do it?

Recently I have been re-reading some of the classic climbing books and my wife asked me what they are about. I said that there about climbers who take on challenges and often come back with frost-bitten toes and often see their friends die on the mountain. Obviously I was being a bit facetious but it got me wondering why do people risk their lives.

Only a week or so ago I read an article about a Nepalese sherpa who had conquered Everest 19 times to go missing on the great mountain. Chhewang Nima, 43 highly respected in mountaineering circles for scaling the world's highest peak, was fixing ropes near the summit of Mount Baruntse when he and another guide were hit by the avalanche.

He has left his wife and two children. Nima was one climb off the record which is 20 ascents. http://gu.com/p/2kjx5

I guess this was his livlihood rather than a hobby but is the thrill of climbing a mountain worth risking your life.

Let me know how you feel about this

No comments: